A level sensor is a device that measures, monitors, and maintains liquid (and occasionally solid) levels. After sensing the liquid level, the sensor converts the observed data into an electric signal. Level sensors are widely used in the industrial and automotive industries but may also be found in various consumer items, including refrigerator ice makers.
Types of Level Sensors
There are two kinds of level sensors: point level sensors and continuous level sensors. Point level sensors assess whether a liquid in a container has reached a predefined point. In contrast, continuous level sensors are employed to compute precise liquid levels. Level sensors are further classified as invasive or non-contact. Invasive sensors make direct contact with the substance being measured, while non-contact sensors use sound or microwaves.
1. Point Level Sensors
There are several types of point level sensors, but they are all invasive. The "float switch" is a basic kind of point level sensor. As the volume of liquid in a container changes, it forces the switch to open or close a circuit. An infrared (IR) emitter and a photodiode are utilised in optical level sensors. As photoelectric proximity sensors, they detect the presence of liquid by measuring the amount of infrared light reflected back into the photodiode. Capacitance level sensors analyse variations in capacitance to determine liquid levels in tanks (the capacity to store electric charge). "Tuning fork" sensors use pressure and vibration fluctuations to detect liquid level.
2. Continuous Level Sensors
Unlike point level sensors, continuous level sensors are non-contact (ultrasonic and microwave). Ultrasonic level sensors emit sound waves, while "radar" sensors emit microwaves. The liquid level determines the time lag between wave emission and reflection.
PVL Level Sensors
Pressure Vacuum Level Ltd has been selling high-quality level sensors for over 28 years. PVL provides these devices for various industries.
Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about our level sensors or other products.
PVL customers can rely on us for high-quality products. Level Sensors are only a handful of the products we provide customers across the United Kingdom. We are also a significant supplier of Pressure Switches and Transducers.
- For continuous level measurement of liquids or bulk solids
- Wide spectrum of use, direct mounting into tanks, vessels, sumps or silos and hoppers
- Setting using a magnetic pen without the need for complete emptying of the tank
- Possibility of linear measurement even in non-conductive or variously shaped vessels
- Optical indication of function and status of level meter by two LEDs
- Wide selection of electrical connection: connector or cable glands
- Housing, electrodes and reference tubes made from stainless steel
- Variants with coated electrode for aggressive or electrically conductive media
- For continuous level measurement of liquid and bulk-solid materials
- Direct mounting into containers, silos, vessels,basins, reservoirs, etc
- Variants with rope electrode or with coated electrode for aggressive and electrically conductive medium
- Possibility of linear measurements even in nonconductive and differently shaped vessels
- Variants for usage in explosive areas, high temperature performance
- Current (4 ... 20 mA) or voltage (0 ... 10 V) output
- Operation mode: by rotation
- Important specification: ATEX Only in non ATEX area
- Measuring blade speed: 5 rpm
- Electric characteristics: 230 VCA 50/60 Hz Option :24VCA/VDC
- Cut-out power: 2A
- Maximum temperature: -20 - + 60°C
- Protection index: IP 65 - 53
- Vanes: Inoxidable AISI 304 o 316
- Body: Glass fiber reinforced ABS
- Float weight without cable: 800 g